Appliance Maintenance TIps by EnRoute Team on January 22, 2010
Make these easy steps a routine:
- Clean the interior shelves, shell and gaskets every three months
- Once a year, clean the coils on the back or underneath with a vacuum cleaner.
- 37 degrees F is an ideal temperature for your frig compartment and 0 degrees F for the freezer.
- If the door gasket is sealing properly, it should hold a dollar bill in place when closed.
Problem: The frig is not running, no sound can be heard and the interior light is out.
- Check for blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker
- Check the plu and replace the cord if damaged
Problem: The frig constantly cycles on and off.
- Clean the coils with a vacuum only
- Call a qualified professional
Problem: The frig has stopped running, the light is on and you hear an occasional clicking.
- Replace fan if necessary
- Test the thermostat and replace if necessary
Problem: Frost forms rapidly or the unit does not defrost.
- Open the door less often
- Adjust the door hinges to ensure a tight door seal
- Clea or replace the gasket. Leaks in the door seal will make it difficult to maintain desired temperature
Check back often for more great tips!