EnRoute Realty
 About | Blog | Testimonials | Refer Our Team | 317-573-1899  

Blog

Blog / 2011 / July /

How to Avoid Mold Issues

by Enroute Team on July 1, 2011

Avoid Standard Mold Cleanup Options


Now more than ever, indoor mold growth is fast becoming the "cancer" of the home. The very moves we (and our homebuilders) make to increase the energy efficiencies in our homes are causing more mold problems than ever before.  Mold thrives with moisture and humidity and now our homes are tighter than ever, locking in moisture.  Even the smallest of leaks or high humidity will feed mold spores that enter our home on our clothes, pets and open windows.

Three tips:

If you have a water leak, repair it within 24-48 hours
Purchase a humidity meter and monitor your home keeping levels no higher than 60%
If you suspect mold or see a colony address it immediately
Be wary of standard cleanup methods.

 One of the most common is Bleaching:

Bleach Is Not Effective - And May Be Hazardous To Your Health
Mold usually returns in less than 24-48 hours after using bleach.
Cleaning stirs up mold spores and puts them into the air.
Bleach only treats the surface. It does not kill or eliminate airborne mold spores.
Bleach is 94% to 97% water which fosters the growth of more mold.
Other methods to avoid:

Ozone Generators may pose multiple hazards to your health.  They can produce off-gassing of harmful contaminants and lead to lung damage. Ozone can also destroy or damage electrical wiring, nails, and other building materials.

Chemicals, Biocides and Fungicides are dangerous poisons.  Most of these are hazardous to your health. These agents either treat surfaces or the air, they almost never treat both surface and air.

 UV Light only kills mold in the air exposed directly to the UV Light and has no impact on the source of mold in buildings.

Chlorine dioxide and other fumigants can both be very harmful to humans and pets. When applied at levels sufficient to kill mold may damage metal fasteners, nails, cabinet hardware and electrical wiring.

Tear it out, remove it & replace it. Repairing leaks is essential to eliminating mold problems, however, it may not be necessary to remove and replace everything that has been affected by mold.  This option can be very costly and does not remove mold spores from the air.

 In the case of mold, most of the problem may be unseen and go untreated by those trying to do it themselves.  To safely and effectively remove mold from your home you'll want to be sure to consult with a properly certified professional.  They will be able to educate you on the possible hazards that are involved and provide the solutions that should be taken to ensure the safety of your family's health and home.


Wishing you well!